Temple Sinai is located at 11620 Warwick Boulevard just south of Riverside Hospital in Newport
News. For over 55 years, Temple Sinai has served as the Reform synagogue on the Virginia Peninsula.
Contact Temple Sinai here or at 596-8352
view map for directions
Announcements: [TS calendar at bottom]
- ANNOUNCEMENTS. Temple Sinai cordially invites unaffiliated Jews and interfaith families
- Please enjoy Rabbi Forman's commentaries.
- President's Message: see page 1 of Bulletin
- Temple Sinai congratulates Rodef Sholom on 100 Years this Dec 6, 7, 8, 2013.
- Details of Shabbat Services through Dec 27 can be found on the Worship page.
- HANUKKAH. Fri, Nov 29 @7:30 pm. A special program, a Hanukkah play done by the Religious School students. No babysitting available.
- Note date change: The Hanukkah dinner will be held Friday, Dec. 6 at 6 p.m. at the Temple. The cost is $14 and $7 for children 12 and under. The menu will consist of brisket, latkes, salad, and dessert will be served later at the Oneg. Please RSVP to Marge Hutt 851-3107 by Nov. 29 and make sure you bring your menorahs. Also contact the office if you need transportation.
- Hanukkah lightings. Temple Sinai will host a Hannukah Menorah Lighting Ceremony at 6 p.m. on Wed, Dec 4 at City Center, Newport News. Please come out and help celebrate the last day of Hannukah with Temple Sinai.
- The UJC will kick off the Hannukah holiday with a Menorah Lighting at City Center in Newport News on Wed Nov 27 at 6 pm. And on Sun, Dec 1 at 5:30, the UJC will light the City Center menorah and then host a family tzedakah event at the UJC at 6 pm.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS. Rabbi Search information. The Search committee (headed by Larry Sacks) is preparing the application with CCAR* for a new rabbi. We are committed to having him/her on board Aug 1, 2014. We encourage congregational members to let the committee know what qualities, abilities, etc. they would like to see in the new rabbi. Also contact Larry if you'd like to serve on the committee.* (CCAR is the national organization of Reform rabbis).
- $100 credit to members bringing in a new membership unit (individual or family). See flyer.
- Religious school announcement. Free Religious School with membership; volunteer opportunities. Free Hebrew school at JCC. Contact Carmela, 930-1422.
- Next Sisterhood meeting Mon, Dec 9 at the Temple at 7 p.m.
- Sisterhood is sponsoring two families from Transitions Family Violence Services for the holiday season. Items needed see flyer.
- Temple Sinai will be serving PORT Dec 25/26. We need 14 volunteers for shifts Dec 25/26 as well as volunteers to help prepare the food. Contact Larry Linn
- Brotherhood Breakfast, Dec 15, 10 am. Peter A. Zando, U.S. Census Bureau. What It Is and Does, Especially in between the 10th-year Censuses.
- Gentle Hatha Yoga class, Thursdays, Dec 5, 4-5pm. Bring a yoga mat or large towel. Chair yoga adaptations available.
- A Guide to Lighting the Menorah.
- Flyer with opportunities for participation (as well as contribution): "Get Involved!"
- Jewish War Veterans has reconstituted the local chapter. Contact info: Adam Goldberg, 831-917-3996 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- JCC Calendar and upcoming events.
- Peninsula Jewish Historical Society exhibit on local Jews with major roles at NASA/NACA. Running through Jan 2014.
- Temple Sinai Facebook page
Rabbi: Lawrence Forman (Interim Rabbi for 2013-2014)
President: Paul Brindza
Vice-President Operations: Pat Finneran
Executive V.P. (Pulpit): Frank Scott
Administrator: Mary Beth Colgan
We are located at 11620 Warwick Blvd in Newport News, Virginia 23601.
Temple Sinai Calendar