Announcements and Events (10, 3 on September 3)
New time for Oneg Shabbat. Oneg Shabbat will follow the Shabbat service all the time.
1. Late posting. Our rabbi from 1960 to 1969, Rabbi Arnold Task, was one of nine people inducted into the Louisiana Justice Hall of Fame. You can see a scan of the citation from the induction ceremony here.
2. See Rabbi Sokol's latest article in the Daily Press here
3. Friday, September 1, following abridged services at 7:30 pm. Honey and Honey Tasting presented by Colonial Beekeepers.
4. Sunday, September 3, 10 am. Religious school resumes.
5. Sunday, September 3, 1 to 2 pm. Temple Sinai’s newest musical group, Shalom Strings, will be performing. This will be an interactive, educational program and will feature violin, viola, string bass and Jewish songs.
Come and learn something new about string instruments and also the differences in sound between the violin, viola, cello and string bass.
At the end of the program, anyone who wishes can try to play an instrument. This event is part of Temple Sinai's Religious School program, which starts at Kindergarten age, and is open to the public and appropriate for ages 3-103+.
Grandparents are welcome and encouraged to bring their grandchildren.
6. Also Sunday, September 3, 4 pm. Sisterhood barbeque at home of Judy Kline and Gary Dohey. For Temple Sinai members and their guests. $15 per adult, $7 children under 12. All proceeds to support Sisterhood. Details on flyer here. RSVP by August 21.
7. High Holy Days: Wednesday, September 20/Thursday, September 21 Rosh Hashanah services and Friday, September 29/Saturday, September 30 Yom Kippur services. We'll be posting the detailed schedule and the policy for non-members who wish to attend, under the Worship tab.
8. Save the date: Sunday, November 12, 11 am.. Endowment Fundraising Brunch to benefit NRF II (food, drink and entertainment).
9. Opportunities to get involved:
--Caring Committee ongoing opportunities to help our members for appointments or Shiva (see Social Action tab under Activities).
--Pulpit Committee: additional members needed to line up volunteers for honors at Services.
--Webmaster assistance: to get involved, contact John, email@example.com
10. Recent events
Friday, June 30. Our program featuring producer, artist, and music scholar Ben Sidran was a great success with 100 attending. See pictures. Also thanks to UJCVP for supporting grant. Flyer here.