Temple Sinai is located at 11620 Warwick Boulevard just south of Riverside Hospital in Newport
News.In our 60th year, Temple Sinai has served as the Reform synagogue on the
Contact Temple Sinai here or at 596-8352
view map for directions
Announcements: [TS calendar at bottom]
- Details of Shabbat Services for Oct are shown on the Services page. Shabbat Service will be Friday, Nov 14 as usual instead of previously scheduled Saturday Service. (see details).
- See Daily Press photos and short video (with advt.) about Rosh Hashanah at Temple Sinai
- Info on NTFY Convention (high school age) and Youth Summit (college). See flyer. Registration opens Oct 6.
- News flash: Torah Study on Sun, Oct 19 at 1 pm inaugurates our adult education program. Click here for details of the program.
- Next Torah Study Sun, Nov 2 at 1 pm. RSVP by Oct 29. Click here for details of the programs.
- Temple Sinai's Jewish Book Council programs for 2014-2015. Temple Sinai's Jewish Book Council programs for 2014-2015. Our speaker for Nov 13 will be Yochi Dreazen, author of "The Invisible Front: Love and Loss in an Era of Endless War." about a family who lost two sons in the wars, one in combat and one to suicide. He is managing editor of Foreign Policy. He replaces Richard Cohen, who is unable to attend. See new flyer
- Complete program for JBC, see new web page
- Care and concern. Need volunteers to prepare meals for member family. Please contact office for details.
- Social action. Temple Sinai is serving the homeless for PORT on Dec 25/26. Contact Larry Linn.
- Also directing homeless veterans to available housing (Mayors' Challenge). Contact Larry Linn.
- Our other volunteer opportunities are listed on the Volunteer tab
- Temple Sinai cordially invites unaffiliated Jews and interfaith families. Information about membership and free religious school for members.
- See new photos from Sukkot and from the Biblical Garden cleanup on Facebook.
- Temple Sinai Facebook page
- Sisterhood birthday/anniversary card flyer.
- Sisterhood meeting, Mon, Nov. 10th, 7 pm.
- Rosh Chodesh celebration at Michele Linn's, Sun, Oct 26, 6 pm.
- Brotherhood Breakfasts:
Oct 26, 10 am. Richard Davis, What We Think We Know about UFOs.
Sun, Nov 23, 10 am. Steven R. Wendell, Director UJCVP, “JCCs and Jewish Federations in small communities-what’s the future?. more info
- "A Look at Local Jewish Artists" by Peninsula Jewish Historical Society at JCC. Reception, Sun, Oct 19, 2 pm; exhibit through Oct 31.
Tue, Oct 28, 5:30-6:30 pm.
- Hospice 101 "Conversations before the Crisis". Tue, Oct 28, 5 pm at JCC. An educational presentation surrounding end of life decisions, Presented by Freda H. Gordon, Hospice and Palliative Care of Tidewater. Light snacks and refreshments provided. RSVP to David Lineberry at Sponsored by UJC and Jewish Family Service.
- A first English translation of a short story by S.Y. Agnon about Yom Kippur, Twofold; read it here. (from Tablet Magazine)
- Interesting review of biographies of Rabbi Schneerson by Joseph Telushkin and Adin Steinsaltz
- PBS featured Simon Schama's Story of the Jews in Apr. It is available on video online. Also, Tom Ashbrook interviewed Simon Schama on NPR's On Point; podcast link here.
- Cornell receives collection on books on the Haskalah (Jewish Enlightenment).
- JCC Calendar and upcoming events. Including The Producers (2006) Thu, Nov 6, 1 pm and Global Day of Jewish Learning, Sun, Nov 17, 1-3 pm.
- Jewish War Veterans (Southside) schedule.