Temple Sinai is located at 11620 Warwick Boulevard just south of Riverside Hospital in Newport
News.In our 60th year, Temple Sinai has served as the Reform synagogue on the
Contact Temple Sinai here or at 596-8352
view map for directions
Announcements: [TS calendar at bottom]
- Details of Shabbat Services for August are on the Worship page. New program Aug 28: Service followed by presentation on Dachau and Prague: Death and Life in Jewish Europe by Frank Scott and Christina Verderosa.
- Sun, Aug 30, 11-2:30, Congregational Open House for Temple and Religious School. See flyer. Featuring internationally renowned storyteller Jim Weiss. Food, arts and crafts, tours of sanctuary, Religious School, Biblical Garden, and historical exhibit. All ages welcome, members, friends, visitors. If you are a member, an occasional visitor, or someone looking for a home in the Jewish community, please come. No charge. Open House Schedule of Events
- High Holy Days begin Sept 13 (evening) to begin the New Year. We welcome nonmembers and our policy is shown here. Members and Friends attend at no charge.
- Community Selichot Program and Services Sat, Sep 5, 8:45 pm. Details on Worship page. Selichot means forgiveness and is an introduction to the High Holy Day season. Details on Worship page. Presentation on nutrition by Sarah Dill and services led by Cantor Sarah Pscheidt, Jonathan Rathsam, Rabbi Gilah Dror, Rabbi David Katz, and our own Rabbi Séverine Sokol.
- We are asking our Temple Sinai chefs to contribute a fruit-based treat for the Selichot service and program. If you are interested please contact Christina Verderosa, who can provide suggested recipes.
- If you would like to volunteer for High Holy Day Service honors, please contact Mary Beth at 596-8352.
- Caring Committee is fully operational. If you need assistance with everyday activities (such as transportation, errands, meals in event of illness) contact Jill Keech, Michele Linn, or Mary Beth. Assistance is confidential.
- Our first Jewish Book Council event is Thu, Oct 1 at 7 pm. Kimberly Marlowe Hartnett will speak on her book "Carolina Israelite", a biography of Harry Golden, author of "Only in America" and "For 2 Cents Plain". Flyer for the 2015-2016 programs.
- Membership highlights: We've updated the membership page. Also, members of area congregations who enjoy Temple Sinai are eligible for Friends membership at a fraction of the membership pledge. Both members and Friends attend High Holy Day services without additional charge, and if you join as member or Friend in June or later dues are waived for remainder of the fiscal year.
- Temple Sinai Facebook page