Temple Sinai is located at 11620 Warwick Boulevard just south of Riverside Hospital in Newport
News.In our 61st year, Temple Sinai has served as the Reform synagogue on the
Contact Temple Sinai here or at 757-596-8352
view map for directions
Announcements: [TS calendar at bottom]
- Shabbat Services for Nov are shown on the Worship page.
- Dec 4, abridged Shabbat service for visiting scholar.
- We welcome new member Mary Scott Naqeeb and returning member Alex Gartsman.
- Rabbi Sokol’s article appeared in the Daily Press Nov 8. Read it here.
- Sun, Nov 22. Religious School 10 am, Adult education (Lashon Hora or “Evil Speech” continued). No religious school or Adult Ed on Nov 29.
- Sun, Nov 22, 10-12. Sisterhood Chanukah gift shop.
- Fri, Dec 4. Dr Joel Hoffman, UJC Scholar in Residence Series, "Four Exiles and Four Spiritual Revolutions: from the Ancient Prophets to Modernity". Sponsored by William T. and Joanne K. Roos Philanthropic Fund. With abridged Shabbat service.
- Mon, Dec 7, 7 pm. Sisterhood meeting.
- Thu, Dec 10. 12 noon. Rabbinic Panel at UJC including Rabbi Sokol.
- Fri, Dec 11, 6 pm. Community Chanukah dinner and play. $15 per person, children 6-12 $6; under 6 free; RSVP 596-8352. See flyer.
- Sun, Dec 13, 10 am. Brotherhood breakfast. Dr. Corliss Tacosa of ODU will speak about Vladimir Putin.
- December, Sisterhood sponsoring adopt-a-family. Flyer
- Thu, Dec 24 overnight to Dec 25 morning. Temple Sinai needs volunteers for PORT (homeless shelter) at Denbigh Church of Christ. Kitchen, intake, and overnight shifts. Contact Larry Linn, at email@example.com to volunteer
- Sun, Jan 24, 2 pm. Author Lee Mandel presents his book “Unlikely Warrior”, the story of a rabbi’s journey from pacifism to Iwo Jima. Jewish Book Council event.
- Wednesday, January 20 6 p.m.Temple Sinai Sisterhood for flower arranging. Jeff’s Flowers Of Course
- Sun, Mar 6, 2 pm. Spring Fundraiser “Music of the Past for the Future of Temple Sinai”. The afternoon will feature a variety of wonderful music followed by a buffet of delicious Italian fare. There is no charge to attend but giving cards will be circulated to raise funds for Temple needs.sistance with everyday activities (such as transportation, errands, meals in event of illness) contact Jill Keech, Michele Linn, or Mary Beth. Assistance is confidential.
- Caring Committee is fully operational. If you need assistance with everyday activities (such as transportation, errands, meals in event of illness) contact Jill Keech, Michele Linn, or Mary Beth. Assistance is confidential.
- New membership initiatives. Special guidelines for college students (free) and Active Duty Military. Also, religious school fee $100 for nonmembers for remainder of the 2015-16 school year.
Membership highlights: We've updated the membership page. Also, members of area congregations who enjoy Temple Sinai are eligible for Friends membership at a fraction of the membership pledge. Both members and Friends attend High Holy Day services without additional charge, and if you join as member or Friend in June or later dues are waived for remainder of the fiscal year. If you paid a fee for High Holy Days and if you join as member before Aug 30, 2016, those fees are credited toward your annual pledge.
- Tenth century Torah scroll sheet—see link—third oldest apart from Dead Sea scrolls
- Temple Sinai Facebook page