Temple Sinai is located at 11620 Warwick Boulevard just south of Riverside Hospital in Newport
News. For over 58 years, Temple Sinai has served as the Reform synagogue on the
Contact Temple Sinai here or at 596-8352
view map for directions
Announcements: [TS calendar at bottom]
Congregational:(including High Holy Day items)
- Welcome new members Steve and Charlene Wendell
- Welcome back to returning members Louis and Sandra Teichman
- Details of Shabbat Services for August and September are shown on the Worship page.
- Our preliminary schedule for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur is also shown there, along with the High Holy Days ticket policy for nonmembers.
- If you would like to participate in future Services with the candle introduction, Kiddush introduction, or Torah honors or would like to usher, please contact Mary Beth to sign up.
- Flyer for the Selichot service (prayers and songs of forgiveness and repentance), held before the coming Rosh Hashanah, at Temple Beth El, Williamsburg, Sat, Sep 20, 9 pm. This is a service for the entire Peninsula Jewish community that is hosted by area congregations in succeeding years.
- Yizkor Books. Please fill out attached form by Fri, Sep 19 to remember your loved ones.
- Oneg Rosh Hashanah sponsored by Sisterhood and asking for your contributed fruit, cheese, or baked goods. Please see note on Sisterhood page for details.
- Our other volunteer opportunities are listed on the Volunteer tab
- Seeking Religious/Hebrew school teacher. Contact Rabbi Sokol with resume.
- Rabbi Sokol is interviewed in the Daily Press.
- Temple Sinai cordially invites unaffiliated Jews and interfaith families. Information about membership and free religious school for members.
- Sun, Sep 7. Come help clean up the Biblical Garden. Contact Christina Verderosa with any questions.
- Temple Sinai Facebook page
- Flyer for Temple Sinai's Jewish Book Council programs for 2014-2015. The first program will feature columnist Richard Cohen, author of forthcoming book Israel: Is It Good for the Jews, on Thu, Nov 13.
- Sisterhood birthday/anniversary card flyer.
- Sisterhood meeting, Mon, Sep 8, 7 pm.
- Sisterhood Ladies' Day Out, Afternoon Tea at Daffodil Village, Gloucester, Sun, Sep 21, 2 pm (RSVP by Sep 12). See flyer.
- Rosh Chodesh celebration at Michele Linn's, Sun, Oct 26, 6 pm.
- Flyer for Brotherhood fall flower sale. Place orders for pansies by Oct 7.
- Brotherhood Breakfasts Sun, Sep 28, 10 am. Jacob Polderman will speak on "Livable Lowlands", an overview of the problems the Netherlands has encountered with storms and flooding of their area below sea level. more info
- "Back in the Day--Local High Schools"--Peninsula Jewish Historical Society exhibit at the JCC.
- NCJW Book Club. Aug 20 and Sep 17, 1:30 pm.
- Interesting review of biographies of Rabbi Schneerson by Joseph Telushkin and Adin Steinsaltz
- PBS featured Simon Schama's Story of the Jews in Apr. It is available on video online. Also, Tom Ashbrook interviewed Simon Schama on NPR's On Point; podcast link here.
- JCC Calendar and upcoming events.
- Jewish War Veterans (Southside) schedule.