Temple Sinai is located at 11620 Warwick Boulevard just south of Riverside Hospital in Newport
News. For over 58 years, Temple Sinai has served as the Reform synagogue on the
Contact Temple Sinai here or at 596-8352
view map for directions
Announcements: [TS calendar at bottom]
- Details of Shabbat Services for Apr can be found on the Worship page. Brotherhood Shabbat Apr 11. Sisterhood Shabbat Apr 25.
- Passover/Pesach first evening Mon, Apr 14
- Congregational Meeting Sun, Apr 27, 11 am-1 pm (preceded by Brunch 10 am). Come to the Annual Meeting. It will include a review of the year's accomplishments and vision for the future, a vote on the FY 14-15 budget, and a vote on the selection and contract for the full-time rabbi candidate presented by the Board of Directors. Members will receive the necessary details by first-class mail or by e-mail of Apr 11. Brunch menu: bagels, cream cheese, lox, whitefish salad, creamed herring. No charge; donations accepted.
- Congregational Dinner honoring Rabbi Forman Fri, May 16, 6pm, $20. RSVP 596-8352..
- Temple Sinai cordially invites unaffiliated Jews and interfaith families. Information about membership and free religious school for members.
- Temple Sinai awarded its first $100 credit for bringing in a new member. See flyer for continued offer. for continued offer.
- Please enjoy Rabbi Forman's commentaries and sermons.
- May 18th, Brotherhood Picnic. Noon. Deer Park Near Jefferson Ave and J Clyde Morris Blvd.
- Brotherhood plant sale. See flyer to order by Apr 25 for early May pickup.
- Sisterhood meeting, Mon, May 12, 7 pm at Temple;
Rosh Chodesh group Thu, May 1, 6 pm at home of Ruth Sacks (flyer).
- Sisterhood birthday/anniversary card flyer.
- Gentle Hatha Yoga class, Thursdays, 4-5pm except May 1. Call 596-8352 to confirm. Chair yoga adaptations available.
- Yiddish Club at JCC, Thu, Apr 24, 1 pm.
- NCJW Book Club, Wed, Apr 16, 1:30 pm
- The Quanza Story (ship bringing Jewish refugees from Germany to Hampton Roads in 1940), began Mar 30 at UJC. Peninsula Jewish Historical Society.. Ship model can be viewed at JCC now. See link
- Yom Hashoah observance, JCC, Apr 27, 2 pm. Ruth Hartz, "Your Name is Renee" and Holocaust Writing awards.
- Why Courts Matter and What I Can Do to Ensure a Fair and Impartial Judiciary. Sun, May 4, 2pm. at Temple Sinai, cosponsored by NCJW. Judge Judith Kline and Lindsay Morris, NCJW.
- JCC 5K Run/Walk, Sun, May 4, at Mariners' Museum. more info
- Israel admitted to CERN, the European Laboratory for Nuclear Research, located in Geneva Switzerland and recent site of the discovery of the Higgs Boson. Israel is 21st Member state and the first new Member State since 1999
- Our interfaith program featuring the film Desperate Hours, discussion, and Turkish dinner (by Rumi Forum), was a great success and all parties hope to sponsor future interfaith programs in this area. Thanks to Rabbi Forman, Paul Brindza, Prof Roberta Rosenberg of CNU, UJC, Rumi Forum, and American Friends of Turkey.
- JCC Calendar and upcoming events.
- Jewish War Veterans (Southside) schedule.
- Temple Sinai Facebook page
Rabbi: Lawrence Forman (Interim Rabbi for 2013-2014)
President: Paul Brindza
Vice-President Operations: Pat Finneran
Executive V.P. (Pulpit): Frank Scott
Administrator: Mary Beth Colgan
We are located at 11620 Warwick Blvd in Newport News, Virginia 23601.
Temple Sinai Calendar