Temple Sinai is located at 11620 Warwick Boulevard just south of Riverside Hospital in Newport
News. For over 58 years, Temple Sinai has served as the Reform synagogue on the
Contact Temple Sinai here or at 596-8352
view map for directions
Announcements: [TS calendar at bottom]
- Stand in Solidarity with Israel, Thu, Jul 31 6:30-7:30 pm at UJC. Micah Halpern will speak on Operation Protective Edge.more info
- Details of Shabbat Services for August are shown on the Worship page.
- Our preliminary schedule for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur is also shown there, along with the High Holy Days ticket policy for nonmembers.(updated)
- If you would like to participate in future Services by assisting with the candle blessing, Kiddush, or Torah honors or would like to usher/lockup, please contact Mary Beth to sign up.
- Our other volunteer opportunities are listed on the Volunteer tab.
- New Rabbi: We welcome Rabbi Séverine Sokol who joined us Jul 1 as our full-time Rabbi! More information on Rabbi page.
- Temple Sinai held a joyous welcome dinner Jul 11 for Rabbi Sokol and family, with 90 attending.See Facebook page for photos.
- Temple Sinai cordially invites unaffiliated Jews and interfaith families. Information about membership and free religious school for members.
- Please contact Mary Beth or Rabbi Sokol if you'd like to assist at Sunday in the Park,
10 am- 1 pm, Aug 17 by manning a table or preparing a Chanukah recipe.
Contact Rabbi Sokol by e-mail or phone.
- "Sunday in the Park--Jewish Holiday Food Sampllng". Aug 17, 10 am - 1 pm, Riverview Farm Park, 100 City Farm Rd., Newport News (near Menchville HS), Picnic Shelter #1, Rain or Shine. A program with local synagogues, UJC, NCJW, Jewish Family Service, and the Peninsula Jewish Historical Society, offering parents, children, Jewish and non-Jewish community an idea of the holidays and the Jewish organizations and services offered on the Peninsula. Our booth will focus on Chanukah.
- Thu, Aug 14, 7pm-10 pm. Back-to-School Bash sponsored by Temple Sinai and UJCVP at JCC swimming pool. Live music by local rock band IB Retro, free food and beverages. All invited, especially college and high school age students.
- Sun, Sep 7. Help clean up the Biblical Garden. Contact Christina Verderosa with any questions.
- Temple Sinai Facebook page
- Sisterhood birthday/anniversary card flyer.
- Sisterhood visited the Portsmouth Jewish Museum and Cultural Center on Jul 20. See Facebook page for report and photo.
- Celebrate Rosh Chodesh (see flyer)with the Sisterhood at 6pm on July 28th at Nella Ostrovsky's home. A Potluck dinner will follow the service. Please RSVP to Nella by July 24th.
- Brotherhood Breakfasts resume in Sep, 4th Sun of each month at 10 am.
- Stop the Sirens campaign to support Israel. See flyer. Also see attached letter to Rabbi Sokol which illustrates how donations to Stop the Sirens are used.
- Jul 29 to Aug 29. Strasser Collection of the Art of Jacob Pell on exhibit at Leon Gallery, Simon JCC, Virginia Beach. See flyer.
- Interesting review of biographies of Rabbi Schneerson by Joseph Telushkin and Adin Steinsaltz
- PBS featured Simon Schama's Story of the Jews in Apr. It is available on video online. Also, Tom Ashbrook interviewed Simon Schama on NPR's On Point; podcast link here.
- JCC Calendar and upcoming events.
- Jewish War Veterans (Southside) schedule.