Temple Sinai is located at 11620 Warwick Boulevard just south of Riverside Hospital in Newport
News.In our 60th year, Temple Sinai has served as the Reform synagogue on the
Contact Temple Sinai here or at 596-8352
view map for directions
Announcements: [TS calendar at bottom]
- Details of Shabbat Services for Dec are on the Worship page. All at 7:30 pm (see details).
- Welcome to Sara Pscheidt, joining Temple Sinai as Friend
- Article by Rabbi Sokol appeared in recent Daily Press: click here
- Next Torah Study Sun, Dec 14 at 1 pm. RSVP by Wed. Click here for revised schedule.
- Date Changes: The Jewish Way session 1 and How to Lead Services: The Basics. Moved from Dec 14 to summer 2015. See revised schedule above.
- For 10th to 12th graders, Panim el Panim trip to Washington DC, Mar 29-31, 2015, "politics in action seminar". Net cost $100 plus travel; application deadline Dec. 15. Links: UJC notice here; PANIM link here; online registration here.
- Our second JBC event features author Charles King speaking about his new book "Midnight at the Pera Palace", Sun, Jan 11, 3 pm at Temple Sinai. The story of the birth of modern Istanbul, featuring intrigue, jazz, Jewish rescue, and characters from Trotsky to future Pope John XXIII. Click here for more info. NY Times review.
- Complete program for JBC, see new web page
- Sisterhood gift shop sale of Chanukah M-F day, and most Friday evenings.
- Chanukah dinner Fri, Dec 19, 6 pm. Brisket, latkes, salad; dessert at Oneg Shabbat. Cost: $15 adults, $7 children 4-12; 3 and under free. Includes Chanukah play by Religious School towards We will also have crafts for children, and a raffle. Sponsored by Sisterhood and Brotherhood.
- Chanukah at City Center. Temple Sinai will lead Sun, Dec 21, 5 pm, with dreidels and songs. First night, Tue, Dec 16, 6-7 community lighting at City Center. See flyer.
- Save the Date. Sun, Jan 18, Special Congregational Meeting (agenda: Merging Endowment and Investment Funds), preceded by champagne brunch. Members please see e-mail blast or contact Mary Beth.
- Save the date: Sunday, March 29, 2-4 pm at Temple for Raising the Roof; special appearance by Virginia Symphony Orchestra violinist Pavel Pashovsky, our Fiddler on the Roof. Hors d'oeuvres by Gidi Gourmet. This is a fundraiser to provide security and roofing upgrades.
- Social action. Temple Sinai is serving the homeless for PORT on Dec 25/26. Contact Larry Linn.
- Our other volunteer opportunities are listed on the Volunteer tab
- Soliciting donations for Transitions to provide a happy Christmas and sponsor a family (mother and two children) that has experienced domestic violence. See list.
- Soliciting seasonal donations for LINK for the homeless--please drop off at Temple Sinai or at LINK. See list.
- See new photos from Steve Wendell's presentation at Brotherhood Breakfast on Facebook.
- Temple Sinai Facebook page
- New:Raffle: (See flyer) Win $135 in restaurant gift cards and support Brotherhood and Sisterhood. Raffle tickets are $20
- Sisterhood birthday/anniversary card flyer.
- Sisterhood meeting, Mon, Jan 12th, 7 pm.
- Next Brotherhood Breakfast: Sun, Jan 25, 10 am. Dr. Cynthia Keppel, Jefferson National Accelerator Facility: Proton Therapy